Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Faith to Move a Mountain



While most of my posts have had an element of the funny, ironic, or ridiculous, today I am prompted to write a short post on one of the talks given in Sacrament Meeting.
First off let me say that I am attending an international ward. This means that rather than being designated by ward boundaries this ward is a conglomeration of Samoans that have married off islander's, and other people from all over the world that do not speak Samoan. So the entire service is in english. This is a huge boon to those like myself who, after the traditional greeting of "Talofa" which means hello or welcome, would otherwise sit in Sacrament Meeting having no idea what was being said.
With this in mind the speakers in our Sacrament Meeting today were a Samoan woman, her Philippine husband and their six children. I was told that the woman was born into the LDS church, but her husband is a convert of only 4 months. The subject of their talks was "Because of Faith." The husband gave a nice talk, all of the children's talks were cute, and the older boys were impressive in their recitations of numerous scriptures with no notes to guide them, but when the woman spoke it really touched my heart.
She said, "In the scriptures it speaks of faith. Scripture tells us that with the faith of a mustard seed, we can move mountains." She paused and then spoke; "Well, I have never witnessed the removal of an actual mountain, yet I have seen a mountain of despair moved and replaced with hope. I have witnessed a mountain of sin moved and replaced with repentance and peace. I have seen a mountain of the unseen, unknown, and unexplained, moved and replaced with simple assurance. I have seen a mountain of hard times and discouragement moved and replaced by gratitude and a sure knowledge that this is indeed the best of times." She went on to say that because of faith she had seen miracles in her life and the lives of others. She ended her talk by saying "Surely we have all witnessed many mountains moved."
This talk really spoke to my heart today. This week has been hard, and I have been feeling a little homesick, a little weak in my resolve. I have had some disappointments, and have stood looking up at my own mountains. Yet, as she spoke I realized that this week I have also seen mountains move. I have seen my own feelings of wondering why I am even here move and be replaced by a great sense of accomplishment. I have felt mountains of homesickness move and be replaced by a welcome smile and a genuine happiness expressed by another that I am here. I have witnessed in myself the mountain of feeling a lack of direction move and be replaced by a renewed drive to make a difference.
While I miss all of my loved ones and the comforts of home, I have continued faith that I am here for a reason. Indeed this sister is right. Mountains do move. Thanks for the reminder!

3 comments:

  1. Love this. Love you. Thank you for always being an example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, you are awesome. We miss you, but I know you are where you need to be right now, if not only for yourself but someone that you touch there in Samoa. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed a quotable quote that resonates with my heart also. Hang in there. You can do it. You always bring blessing wherever you go. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete