Thursday, January 13, 2011

"OFF" Affecting Cognitive Abilities...

After 15 or so ant bites, from ants so small I may need to get some reading glasses to see them biting me, and a few mosquitos who got in a few nips, not to mention hearing horror tales of Denghui Fever, I have begun wearing this new body spray. It has the light and lovely scent of DEET. Now this is not just any OFF, it is "Smooth and Dry", ironically two things I aspire to be while here in the beauty, bugs, & humidity of Samoa. Each day I get out of the shower and dry off, then spray my arms and legs, anything exposed, with this OFF Smooth and Dry mosquito spray, and then I get dressed for the day. Then late afternoon I give myself another fine misting. I did not even bring perfume or scented lotions with me as I was informed that those just attract bugs, but I am glad I brought 3 cans of OFF. Can you get DEET poisoning from daily use? Could this explain why I have been struggling to finish the excel spreadsheet I have been working on for days, or even this sentence? Perhaps it is affecting my cognitive abilities? Let's just say that while I cannot prove a causal relationship to what feels like a lower IQ, I believe if I work hard enough I might find a correlation. If not I am going to alter the results of my study and say I did anyway. Think any lawyers out there would pay me big bucks? If Dr. Wakefield can do it with vaccinations and Autism, I'm pretty sure I can do it with OFF and my own IQ.

3 comments:

  1. So, if you really are facing cognitive deficits, you might just be on the same level as the rest of us now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't... help... self... Bug spray have you feeling a little "off?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always used the water hanging in the plastic sandwich bag trick and it seemed to work. But I just saw it get "busted" on MythBusters so now I am feeling a little conflicted myself.

    ReplyDelete