Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tropical Depression?


Does this mean the entire area is feeling a little blue?
Ha Ha Ha

Just an FYI to my friends and family, I am told by my hosts that during a storm like this they often lose power and even when the power comes back on, the internet cables are buried quite shallow and flood easily causing days of no internet. Currently the only concession that has been made for the storm is that the lanai on the house was letting in too much blowing rain on one side, so it is all tarped and boarded up now. Not to worry, we have lots of groceries and flashlights, and I am perfectly happy and safe, 2 miles inland and completely comfortable. The storm that they have been predicting to carry over 60 mph winds has been reduced to 20-30 mph and the warning is set to expire by 9am tomorrow. The whole thing may just pass in the night with no sign of ever being here by morning, or may wipe out our power & internet for days.

As it has been pointed out to me, when the weatherman says that a storm will hit the coast of the US, the chance of accuracy is higher because the land mass is so great, so while it may not hit EXACTLY where they thought, it will likely still hit somewhere close. Here, weather forecasting is an attempted prediction that a storm will hit an island that is only about 77 sq miles, or about the size of Washington DC. Basically the head of a pin out here in this huge ocean... so, if the storm doesn't track EXACTLY as predicted the island is easily missed completely!

Since I know about now my dad is reading this and saying to me in his head, or perhaps to my mom, "Skip the labor pains and give me the baby would you?"
Dad, here is the baby:
I didn't want any of you to see something about a "Tropical Depression" in this area, in the news and worry. If you don't hear from me and can't contact me for a couple of days, I am fine!
Love you all, and I will take photos if anything exciting happens, and if not I will let you know that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment