Friday, January 21, 2011

Storm? Just kidding... but there is lots of excitement here!

Well the only exciting thing that happened was the part where we boarded up the one wall of the lanai while blowing rain was coming in soaking the floors.
Honestly though, I'd really rather not have too much excitement while I am here, well at least not the storm kind, since it is hurricane season!

Truthfully this week has been full of another kind of excitement. I have watched a woman I work with, Henna, transform from a quiet, withdrawn, woman with low self esteem into someone who is outgoing, excited, and confidant.
Henna started her own business, selling pancake's, 7 for $1. Here they are not flat and grilled like at home, these are more like banana flavored muffin balls that are deep fried deliciousness. Yum!
Henna lives with her husband, two children (ages 2 & 4, her 4 year old is partially blind) and her sister in one rented room in a slum. Minimum wage on the island is around $4 an hour, and she works part-time for the foundation I am helping, which is an amazing job at $5 and hour. Her husband is sometimes employed. She feeds her family of five on $40 a week. They are Tongan so receive no governmental assistance. I have no idea how she does it. (Please remember the price of groceries. Eggs are $3 a dozen, milk $12 a gallon, a head of lettuce $3, etc...) But this week she has had an extra infusion of cash, and self confidence with her new little business. In one day, with the help of her sister she earned $13. She was so excited to tell me all about it that it brought tears to my eyes to watch her. I am excited to see how this sudden self sufficiency will change her life and that of her family for the better. I have already seen how it has changed her demeanor. She suddenly sees a light at the end of what has been a very dark tunnel. Go Henna!
So, yesterday I spent my morning teaching 8 other women how to put together a business plan so they can apply for loans and start their own businesses too. (As if I am a business major or something) but I soon realized that I didn't need to know much. I studied the "Where There Are No Jobs" program book for a few hours, and am aware that if I know just more than the ladies I can be helpful. Plus, I can share some math/bookkeeping help and practical advice. I am hopeful that maybe 5 of them will receive 2 month loans of $50 to $100 each in the coming weeks, and hopefully do as well their first week as Henna has. Now that's the kind of excitement I am up for seeing while I am here!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment