Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hello Samoa... Here I come!


Unbelievable! I will be in the air tomorrow morning by 8 AM, on my way to Oahu, then to Honolulu, then to Pago Pago, American Samoa. The whole thing still seems very surreal.
I have more mosquito spray than most mini-marts, a small fan for my room, and four Benadryl sticks (I hear the mosquitos are fierce, and hopefully these things will help me avoid being bit.) Then there is the Tums, Immodium, Dayquil, Nyquil, Sudafed, Neosporin, Bandaids, vitamins, Asthma meds, Sunscreen, etc... that fill my second suitcase. Along with the new snorkel gear that I can't wait to try out, and all the new cotton tops and skirts, and sandals that will feel so welcome compared to a wool coat, scarf and gloves. My toe nails are polished in a lovely argyle plaid, and I believe I am finally packed and travel ready.
I am feeling a little nervous, but mostly about the very long flights, and the fact that I will be leaving the house at 5:30 AM, and will not arrive until 2 AM my time. That's a long day of traveling!!
Thanks to Candace's sweet mother-in-law, Diane, I have a perfect little travel day pack including snacks, wet-wipes, ibuprofen, disposable toothbrush, etc. Thanks Diane, you are soooo thoughtful!!
I had lunch with my Grandma, mom, daughter and grandson today. So fun to be there, all five generations of us. Just beautiful! My sweet grandma made me smile when she said she was concerned about my safety. I assured her that American Samoa is a US territory and that I will be perfectly safe. After a little more discussion, we finally figured out that her real worry was that I would be taken by head hunters. I told her that they wouldn't want me anyway... empty head.
Seriously? Don't worry, I think the head hunters of American Samoa likely switched over to eating Spam quite sometime ago!! :o)

Truly Grandma, I am a little worried too! Not for my safety, but perhaps for my sanity. I fear I will not like the food. I fear that I may be eaten, not by headhunters but by mosquitos. I fear I may be homesick. I fear I will miss someone too much. I fear things will be different than home and I will not know how to adapt. I fear I will not know the language and some will not be kind. I fear that I will not be accepted enough for others to let me into their lives. And yet, I too believe...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Hello Samoa... Here I come!



1 comment:

  1. Ack, so exciting and nerve-wracking all at once! Good luck, safe journey, and enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete